Sunday, July 3, 2011

Tech of the Future: Autos

In this regular feature, I will discuss technologies that I would like to experience in the future.

Click on the photo to view the website it came from.

It's probably a million degrees outside, and I am le tired of putting my sunshade up all the time. By that I mean, I never put my sunshade up. Lazy = ideas, people. Dear future auto makers: please create built-in and/or automatic sun shades for our vehicles. The thought of getting into my vehicle in the raging summer heat and feeling nice and cool (or even not nearly as hot), or touching the steering wheel and not having my hand flesh melt off, or not surprising myself with a liquid-magma hot seat-belt buckle, or even being willing to buy a black car (again) someday... these things make me weep.

Obvious design enhancements aside, I imagine a future where our vehicles drive us places without needing human intervention, an invention we're clearly working toward. In addition to that, though, I would really love it if my car would run across town and pick up some dog food for me while I'm at work. I think we can all agree that if we didn't have to spend time running annoying errands that are usually for our families, we would love them more. Okay, I kid, I kid. But it would be nice if I could hop on a Petco app, order my supplies, indicate that my auto will be arriving to pick it up, pay in advance, and have a nice sales associate (or robot, whatever) load it into my vehicle. My on-board inventory module will tell me exactly what products I have in the vehicle, so I can verify that everything I ordered is there, and there are no apparent problems that need to be addressed before my car makes the trip back to the work parking lot to pick me up. Maybe it could even have a cooler/freezer combo compartment for groceries and perishables. Ice cream at a tailgate party? Uhh, yes.

Ahh, tech of the future.
Enhanced by Zemanta

2 comments: